How to set up a metroPCS phone

Discuss Coverage and new Buildouts

How to set up a metroPCS phone

Postby Edward » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:20 pm

I seem to be getting mixed signals elsewhere online, so I hope someone here can steer me in the right direction.

This is the situation currently:

The phone is a Kyocera Neo. With the phone's roaming selection set to "MetroPCS Only", the phone will either display "Searching..." or will pick up a signal and display "MetroPCS".

With the same selection set to "Automatic", the phone will display either "MetroPCS", "Roaming/TravelTalk" with a flashing "R" icon, this is a Verizon signal, as SID 00028 is displayed in the phone information), or it will display "Roaming/Roaming" with a solid "R" icon, this is Sprint as the phone info shows SID 04106.

I have read that with this nationwide coverage, the roaming partner is Sprint. The nationwide map on metroPCS' web site appears to show Sprint coverage areas, in addition to native metroPCS.

When the phone picks up a Sprint signal, I cannot make a call. I hear a recording that starts with two beeps, then I am instructed to press one key to make a collect call, press another key to call 411, another key for Spanish and yet another key if the caller is a TracFone/Net10/StraightTalk customer and would like further information.

I have been told online elsewhere - one says to keep it in Automatic.

Another says to keep it on MetroPCS Only and that when it's on MetroPCS Only, the phone will automatically roam on the roaming partners (it was also said Leap was a roaming partner as well), if not on the MetroPCS network.

Is what I am describing, to be expected???

Which roaming setting should I keep the phone on?

If Sprint is a roaming partner, then I should be able to make a call. Unless, there is something that I am not understanding here.

Thanks in advance.
Edward

Re: How to set up a metroPCS phone

Postby Edward » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:36 pm

I called metroPCS and the roaming was explained in full.

If you are in your home area where the phone was activated, you can't roam on the roaming carrier (which makes sense). Where the phone was on Automatic, the recording I heard on Sprint, was correct.

When in the home area, the phone should be set to MetroPCS Only.

However, if travelling outside a metroPCS service area, then the phone should be on Automatic. In which case, I will be able to take advantage of the roaming coverage. The customer service representative advised two hours before leaving, dial *228 to update the roaming list.
Edward

Postby dmarkson » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:17 pm

That stinks that you can't use Sprint locally. Actually it does not make a great deal of sense to me that they can control it that closely.
dmarkson
Site Admin

Postby Edward » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:04 pm

I thought it was odd, because I know VZW cannot roam on Sprint locally, although I recall that one instance when I was in Stop & Shop, with the TracFone, the phone lost th VZW signal, then displayed "Roaming" with Sprint SID 4106. The next PRL that came out of VZW, 4106 was not listed in it.
Edward

Postby dmarkson » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:57 pm

Here in NH Metro has free roaming on U.S. Cellular, but no such luck in MA if you are in a bad Metro area. You are stuck with 19c/minute TravelTalk. At least text roaming does not cost extra.
dmarkson
Site Admin

Postby Edward » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:20 am

The Huawei M835 (aka "Reboot") must be on the "MetroPCS Only". If it is set to Automatic and it loses the native metroPCS signal in a native area, the phone will live up to its reputation; and reboot.

This is also my 300th post!
Edward

Postby dmarkson » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:14 pm

I love the Reboot name. So accurate.
dmarkson
Site Admin

Return to Signal Reports