ATT & Sprint Coverage in Southern NH

Discuss Coverage and new Buildouts

ATT & Sprint Coverage in Southern NH

Postby smondazzi » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:55 pm

HI all - VZ contract is up and considering switching. Not sure how coverage is in Nashua and points North to Laconia area. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
smondazzi

Re: ATT & Sprint Coverage in Southern NH

Postby dmarkson » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:56 pm

The AT&T and Sprint maps are pretty accurate for the most part. Stay on the highway or a few miles off and you are fine. With Sprint you will simply roam on Verizon 850 as you head away from the highway. AT&T will lose signal as there is nothing else to roam on in the area. Once you head further north than Lake Winnie AT&T will roam on what is now Verizon GSM 850.

I assume you are thinking about the new iPhone 3G S or Palm Pre. One of my buds just got the Pre and loves it other than the poor battery life when running pandora and such. Reception is about the same as the touch pro.

Best bets for rural NH are Verizon and U.S. Cellular which have the two 850 MHz licenses locked up for most of the state. Verizon now has CDMA 850 throughout the entire state and U.S. Cellular has CDMA 850 in the entire state minus Rockingham and Strafford Counties.
dmarkson
Site Admin

Postby smondazzi » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:20 am

Great information, thanks! Yes, I was thinking either the Pre or 3GS. As we like to go camping in NH alot, I think I'll stick with VZ and wait for the Pre to come out on VZ, which is supposed to be early next year.
Steve
smondazzi

Postby smondazzi » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:56 pm

dmarkson - re-reading your post, I just thought of another question. If Sprint will roam on Verizon's 850 and the VZW 850 covers a good part of the state, do you think the call quality would be similiar to VZW? Thanks
smondazzi

Postby dmarkson » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:56 pm

Yes the voice quality would be similar. If you are frequently in a marginal Sprint area your phone might switch back and forth often and you could miss calls. If you roam too much then you could be kicked off Sprint. Also, you will not be able to use EV/DO when roaming and data is limited to 800MB when roaming (last I checked).
dmarkson
Site Admin

Postby smondazzi » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:29 pm

Great, thanks! I was at the Sprint store in Nashua last night and asked the rep the similiar question. He said it would roam as well but didn't mention that data speeds would be decreased. Also, he said the new phones can't be forced to roam which I thought might help if I get into a sketchy VZW/Sprint transition area. Thanks again for your help.
smondazzi

Postby dmarkson » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:30 pm

Ya, the "roam only" option on Sprint phones has been removed in current models. You can usually hack it if you are that type of person.
dmarkson
Site Admin

Postby smondazzi » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:47 am

Just dusted off the Virgin Mobile phone as now I know they use SPrint towers - nothing at the house, can't even call voicemail. It was dead at my son't school, too. I think that answers it for me. Will wait until Pre comes out on VZW.
smondazzi

Postby dmarkson » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:29 am

Kind of strange there is no signal at school. Unless its way off the main roads. I get zero bars at my house, same ol' since 1999 when I had Sprint. It was better than U.S. Cellular at the time but USC has improved quite a bit and of course has a huge advantage with the 850 MHz signal. Hard to believe Sprint has not improved here in 10 years.
dmarkson
Site Admin

Return to Signal Reports